- Select a piece of fabric to your taste. Preferably a wool or wool blend. Fabric comes in many widths, the most common being 115cm or 152cm. (If you are tall, choose the 152cm). Purchase the same length as width (or as close to).
- Lay the fabric on a flat surface. To ensure your fabric is square, fold one corner over and ensure the edges are perfectly aligned.
- Remove any excess fabric.
- You now have a perfect square and are ready to begin!
- Using tailors chalk and a ruler (or similar) mark the centre of the fabric. (You may choose to fold the fabric in half and half again to do this with ease). Mark a line from the centre of the fabric to one corner.
- Using sharp scissors, cut along your line from the corner to the centre.
- Select a complimentary of contrasting thred and blanket stitch the entire perimeter of the fabric. If you have an over locker, you can do this easily by selecting the ‘picot’ edging stitch.
Here’s how I styled the second piece from my package from fastfashion.co.uk, the Reverse Triangle Back Kimono in mustard. It looks great with an all black outfit but here I wore mine with my matching mustard brogues from ASOS, a black shirt and a blue velvet skirt to provide a totally contrasting accent colour to my outfit. I love the bold block colour of the cape, the stud details make it just the right amount of edgy and it’s such a versatile piece that it can be worn during a summer’s day with denim shorts and a white loose vest or on a winter’s evening over a black mini dress with glitter tights and killer heels! Head over to FastFashion.co.uk to pick up yours and browse the rest of the collections now.